Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Do you have your Christmas decorations up yet?

I have to wonder what true minimalists homes look like during Christmas. I'm sure they still decorate, but it probably doesn't look like Christmas threw up in their house. I LOVE Christmas! I love the true meaning of Christmas the most, but I also love the decorations that really bring a lot of joy to families, especially children.

We (and by we, I mean my husband helped a tiny bit) pulled down all our decorations the other night, and put them up after our kids went to bed. I found a 4ft pre-lit tree, along with our 6 foot. See, when we got married, we lived in this teeeeeeeeeeeny tiny little apartment. While we lived there, it was just us, and our oldest son, Logan. We had no room to even move around each other, so getting a very small tree was a no brainer.

Then we bought our first home 10 months after we moved into that apartment. We decided it was time for a bigger tree, since at that point we had our second son, too. So, we got a 6 foot pre-lit tree, and we kept the smaller one with the idea that we could use that for the kids to decorate, too.

Well, that never happened, as we had a 3rd child, our little girl, only 15 months after our second son. To add to that, a tradition in my family is that the kids get an ornament every year. So 3 kids, 3 ornaments a year from us, my mom and dad still do it for their grand kids, and my grandmother also still does it. So that's 9 ornaments a year, times 4 years (this is my daughters fourth Christmas) YIKES!

So, needless to say, we've acquired quite a bit of ornaments. We decided with the lifestyle we are striving for, we really need to be a little more practical. That 4ft tree has never been used other than that first year. And instead of buying a ton of ornaments, I started (this year) giving them each one from my childhood. They think that's so special.

Once I went through everything, we really didn't have a lot of decorations to put up, but the home we live in really doesn't have a lot of space, either. So, I have decided to bless someone with our tree, and decorations we don't want anymore. I put an ad on Craigslist this morning. We did this another year, and the woman that came to get them was so grateful. She said they just moved and just got married, and just didn't have the money to get any yet. What an amazing feeling to help someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment